Friday 19 November 2010

Reason to lift up our Eyes

I have been reminded today that it is so important to enjoy and notice the happy times along the way. Yes, we feel the pain and burdens of those we are close too, but it is so important when sharing pain to see joy in other situations. I was thinking about the passage when Jesus made the statement, "When I am lifted up from the world will draw all men to myself." I was pondering the idea that it's almost like Jesus is telling us that He is taking the pain and burden of this fallen world on his shoulders as he is raised up on the cross and He is giving us opportunity to lift our eyes upward, away from the mess of this world and looking to the source of hope and salvation. It is so important that in times of pain there is reason and purpose to lift our eyes upward. Jesus is that reason and hope.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some of my joy this week. I have literally been in the door an hour since being hugely encouraged. Friday afternoons are spent at Anna Ritchie School. Alex and I get to play football with around 20 kids. Anna Ritchie is a special school! Every Friday it is like a safe haven and filling station. To be accepted and included into their lives in the way we are is a beautiful thing. This afternoon we went to the school and the weather was pretty poor, so we were planning on going indoors for our session. When we signed in and went to the hall we were met with a bunch of music amps and microphones and it was obvious that we were not going to have the use of the hall. I started to go around the classes explaining to the boys that we would have to cancel because there was nowhere to play and the look of dismay on their faces was so sad. I decided to have a quick check outside just in case the rain had stopped and would you believe it - it had! There was smiles and cheers as we relayed the news that we were going ahead with the game. If you haven't picked up on it yet the game today was extraordinary. Every goal scored was truly amazing and not in keeping with the norm. There was so much smiles and joy as goal after goal went in, Alex and I both knew this was a day to remember. The score finished at 8-6. In the midst of this Lucas scored a hat trick of the highest quality! Afterward I gestured a thanks to Alex for deliberately missing a save on his last goal which was with his head and Alex said there was no way he was going to spoil Lucas' moment to shine.

This is one of the reasons why I love the kingdom! To have the desire to lift people up and to share nothing but encouragement and support. It is a joy to serve in the community and especially in the school's with the children. It is a constant reminder that God is active and we always have times of refreshing and opportunity to lift our eyes and hearts Christ ward.

The photo's are from our bunch at Crimond School. Every Tuesday afternoon we have the joy of working with these kids. I do enjoy football, but I LOVE the opportunity to influence and touch lives with the motivation that comes from knowing Christ!
God Bless!

1 comment:

George said...

I see PD drew St Mirren. You never know.
Happy Thanksgiving!