Monday 8 November 2010

Words don't come easy...

This entry is not going to be an easy one. There are times when you have to weigh up the for's and against's for sharing information via this avenue. I know there are many, who given the chance, would be supportive and prayerful about our church, but I am also aware that this is a public site and can be viewed by anyone, therefore I cannot share all that is in my heart via this entry. I can honestly say the past week has been hard. We have been faced by circumstances that I wouldn't have dreamt possible in a small town like Peterhead. I would ask that everyone reading this would pray for our church. When you come face to face with the brokenness and falleness of this creation and see the evidence and extent to which evil can overcome and control a person, it makes you want to run all the more keenly into the arms of our Father. This is as much as I can share.

There has been grief within our Youth group these past days too. Ryan, Stuart, Claire, Stephen and Kevin, The Geddes', lost their Granada this past week. It was obvious that he was a great man. His passing has devastated their young lives and shows the extent of how much love there was between them all. Again, I would ask for prayers for this family. We have had a strong connection with the Geddes' over the years and I have to say that their lives have shown much growth and faithfulness toward the kingdom. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to be there for them through this hard time.

Although there has been some dark and trying times here and my mindset may have been tainted as a result, I can't deny that there has been much happiness and joy running alongside this. Last Monday night we had a "Sugar and Spice and All things Nice" party with the younger kids who come on a Monday and Wednesday night. As you can see from the pictures they put in the effort to dress up well! Note also the "Dynamic Duo" of Alex and myself. Alex made a fantastic "Batman" outfit and I came as "Pic & Mix." From the start to the finish we had non stop fun and laughter! It was a chance to enjoy the occasion and just make smiles! We went to a lot of effort to make it a memorable night for the kids and I am confident we succeeded. We made sure everybody went home happy and full of joy, and heavy laden with chocolate! We had a hunt for the golden ticket which was won by Megan, who received the "Month supply of Chocolate." I spoke to her mum, Alison the next day, who was delighted at the bundle of chocolate Megan came home with and hopes to share in the prize!


This past Wednesday night was special! I had asked Shaun the week before to do the prayer for this week, this would have been his first public prayer. When we got started I foolishly forgot about asking Shaun to do it and said the prayer. I forgot with good motives though, my heart was full on behalf of the Geddes' and in my desire to bring them before God's throne, I left Shaun on the bench. However, at the end of the classes we got everyone through and Shaun closed in prayer. I was so humbled by his sincerity and depth in his prayer. After a nervous first few words, his sentiments were truly beautiful. There is something special about being able to witness a heart communicating with their God - a true Joy!
Well, a little note about the plates we are juggling at the moment. We have our meal for the over 60's on the 27th November. Alex and I have to come up with an hour and a half of entertainment. We have an outing with the primary age children to a chocolate factory on 6th December and an outing with the teens on 17th December to Aberdeen. We are also taking a group on the 16th November to a football match in Aberdeen between Scotland and Faeroe Isles. My head is full of events and places to be - crazy, but great!

I have not mentioned anything about the bulk of my ministry in the schools, but know that this term they are going great and the opportunity is very much the same and I am working with some great groups of children. Time is truly flying and every day with the exception of Wednesday I have the joy of being in front of Children with the opportunity to share goodness and God!

As I am writing this there is an overwhelming reality that in December we will be saying goodbye to Alex. I try not to stress about this too much, but the reality is going to be tough. The gap that Alex fills at present will be very tough to fill. I have hopes that our own teens will go some way to closing the gap, but the reality is I am going to miss Alex, greatly! His personality and presence will cause a void here! With this in mind I again request your prayers. We are growing and active and will soon be a man down! Please pray for the right people to be sent, or raised up for the continued good of the kingdom here.
We had a visit last weekend from dear friends. Chrissy and Robin Vick and Jenny Johnson came up for the weekend. It is always good to spend time with those who are desiring to make a difference in this world. It is good to know they are just down the road and not on a whole different continent! All three friends have had an impact in Peterhead and have touched lives here for the good.

Just a note on our family. This weekend we were all home!!! Amy came up from Edinburgh and Beth was home from Dyce! I LOVE my girls! I am so proud of the way they are living their lives and continuing to make good choices. I am not the most expressive of men, but I know in my heart that I am a blessed man and the smile I have on the inside is greatly the work of my girls.

This entry has been tough to put into words, but I hope you get the message.

God bless!

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I know that this post must have been hard for you to write. I am praying for the church and also that you have the strength to help the people hurting at this time. You are doing an great job Billy.

Glenave Curtis said...

I love you all so very much. You are in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Billy and Fenella and all the girls, you are always in our prayers and we know that God is so totally in charge of all the wonderful works you do there. He is counting on you to love and teach those fine young people. We will be praying about Alex as well. God bless you every day.
Love,
Caroline