Thursday 8 September 2011

Aberdeen Youth Weekend and More...

Don't quite know where to begin here. I want to begin looking back at the weekend and simply say, "WOW!" In advance of the weekend I had booked a mini bus - 17 seats. When the names finally stopped coming in we had 19 going plus Donald and me! It was a bit overwhelming, but then I got to thinking of the opportunity this was. Getting to spend the weekend with the group in the setting of the youth weekend  - how rich is that! Amy and Elaine looked out for the girls who went to Emma and Steven Glennie's house. Don't know how Emma and Steven managed it - all 8 of our girls were sleeping with them! I must say though that I was chuffed when I heard that they were all going there. Emma and Steven are a lovely couple and I knew the girls would have a great time there. I must mention Heidi, Emma and Steven's baby daughter, who became a big hit with the girls :) All the boys stayed at the building with Donald and me. What a joy! Of course there is all the usual boyish antics and banter, but through the course of the weekend I loved watching the group grow and be challenged to think deeply about their life and their actions. We played a lot of football! I am still thankful for this avenue to connect and get to know the guys temperaments as they compete on the field - great insight! I loved going to Emma and Steven's house in the mornings to get the girls and watch them file out with smiles on their faces. The van was never quiet and all the way to the building there was an excitement and anticipation that there was going to be a great day ahead. That was the weekend in a nutshell! Everyone went around knowing the day was going to be good - and it was! Scott Tominey, Robin Vick and Adam Barr each gave outstanding lessons based on the qualities set out in 1 Timothy 4:12. There was sufficient free time for relationship building and enough fun,games and food as well. 

The group we took to Aberdeen were, Amy Strachan, Beth Strachan, Elaine Pressley, Claire Geddes, Amie Walker, Kirsty McQuillan, Kerri Buchan, Megan Ritchie, Thomas Dickie, Shaun Main, Stuart Geddes, Ryan Geddes, Scott Findlay, Bruce Thain, Jordan Sutherland, Kierran Birkett, Andrew Main and Lewis Emslie. I want you to see their names and to know that each of them were exemplary in their conduct and were an honour to be with and to be representing the Peterhead Church of Christ. I will not tell a lie, it took me a good few days to recuperate, but I would not change a thing! Yes, the feeling of calm that came over me once the kids were dropped off home and the van was filled with fuel and returned to the yard was nice, but the memories of the weekend are precious and in the future will provide avenues for blessing - well worth the effort :)

I feel as though I am repeating myself often when I say that God is doing great things with this group, but it is the truth! Yes, we get our share of teenage drama and the attention seeking and the baggage of worldly influence, but there is true desire for Christ in that mix and I am prayerful that the Spirit continues to be active in allowing their young lives to be drawn closer to seeing the glory of our God.

God bless!

No comments: