Wednesday 19 August 2009

Can't believe Summers Over!

The summer has flown in and I can't believe we were dropping Beth off at Dyce on Monday and taking Holly and Hannah to school yesterday! We had a full summer, but got everything done we needed to. I suppose you could say we had a "budget" summer, since the finances are tight just now. Our highlight of the summer was camp! The girls had a fabulous time and as ever the whole camp atmosphere and focus fed all our souls. Fenella had the toughest time, being in the kitchen all week and missing out on a lot of the Assembly and Devotional time. The truth is that camp this year proved to be a timely tonic for my soul. We had Dan Langdon and Russell Hill over because it was the 20th anniversary of camp and the lessons they taught energised my spirit. I arrived at camp ready to serve and found myself receiving all the time. The discussion group I was responsible for was again a source of joy and hope. The group of 14-16 year olds were beautiful! Their insight and vision for the kingdom was inspiring for me to listen to. It was a true joy to join in discussion about the kingdom and where we need to focus our efforts and impact our communities. I had Aaron Moyes from Kircaldy in our group and again I was encouraged to share in some good, deep spiritual talks that helped and inspired the whole group. When the week was over it was tough to leave after having received so much - good times!

We took the chance to do some work at the church building since the classes were on a break for the summer, and re-did the youth/fellowship hall. The reason for this was simple - to stop kids knocking holes in the walls. I am now delighted that the hall is safe and that the kids will feel no more shame or embarrassment when a shoulder or a knee goes through the wall. We had one wall in particular which was incredibly soft and every class we anticipated more damage. Fenella's dad (Jacky) and myself did all the joinery work and we had Alex helping out too. We covered the whole hall in 12mm MDF sheets 6ft high. This has significantly strengthened the walls and most importantly we have no worries when we have the kids doing active stuff. The work took us fully two weeks to complete and now that the painting and finishing's are done the hall looks great.

This summer has been a good time to step back a reflect on how things are going. I know there are things I need to improve on and having occasion to think and plan has given me a clearer picture on how to get some of this done. My main concern is not taking enough care of my own soul. I am shocked at how empty I can allow myself to run before I make a conscious effort to fuel myself and not fill myself with what everyone else needs. So, this term I hope to be more conscious of my personal spiritual well-being. This summer has also given cause to see again just how powerfully God continues to provide the opportunity for us to serve and influence. I look at the amount of schools that are open to inviting me in to share God and to help influence the kids for good, and I am still overwhelmed - richly blessed!

We had some precious time with Chrissy and Robin Vick, who were over for David and Dani's wedding and were able to spend a couple of days with us. Chrissy and Robin are two people we have shared so many life and kingdom experiences with, that we are woven together in kingdom fabric. We talked into the small hours and shared vision and hopes for God's kingdom. We anticipate their return early next year and know God has plans for their willingness and their passion for the lost.

We have been really encouraged by Shireen and Danielle these past weeks. In spite of some hard circumstances they are living by faith and have been a source of joy to Fenella and I. I am excited about the term ahead and pray that God will use them and their abilities to influence others for the good of the kingdom. We are also encouraged by Thomas and like with the girls I look forward to his influence and help this coming term.

Amy was pretty busy through the summer with the National Youth Choir of Scotland. We were traveling a fair bit to get her to rehearsals and concerts in Glasgow, Sterling and Perth. We are so blessed to be able to go and hear the Choir! At the concert in Perth and I will never forget the sound and the power of all 200+ gifted voices exploding into the song "Zadok the Priest!" The whole summer I have been humming and thinking about the songs they sung - they have lifted my spirits - thanks Amy!

Well, my head is sore from trying to remember everything, so that's it for now. In closing please keep our efforts in your prayers. We are at the begining of a new term and as always we want to be following in the footprints of the Spirit. Thank God for the opportunities we have and that we bring Christ in through the doors.

God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good work. I am glad you updated the blog. I miss not reading what is going on in the blue toon.

George