Friday 6 August 2010

So much for taking it easy!


These past days have tested me to my limit. However maybe not in the way you might think! The past three days I have been making a trench all the way round our house two and a half feet deep! We have a burst water main pipe and because the burst part of the pipe is on our property the water authority told us it is our responsibility to get it fixed. So, I started out with a diamond blade say and cut through the concrete and then with a sledge hammer and pick axe got the top layer broken up and removed. Next was a layer of hard core and finally a foot of clay! I have not put my body through this kind of punishment since getting a huge haul of fish all those years ago! I have a bunch of blisters on my hands and from the waist up there are few muscles that don't ache. Happy to report that as of this morning the hard work is done and the plumber is coming just now to run a new pipe from the mains into the house - hooray!


On a different track. I have had the joy of preaching the last two Sunday mornings. The first Sunday I talked about the "Great Sin" of Pride that is so evident and in fact honoured in our culture. Talked about the need for humility in our lives and recognising our place before Almighty God. This past Sunday I talked about "Growth." I took a couple of potatoes that I had planted with Holly and Hannah before setting off to America and shared how great is it to watch things grow. I focused on the fact that it is only God who can bring about true beauty and growth in our lives.

There was a "Growth" moment last Sunday and one that made me very proud. During our "Prayers of the Church" (a time when the men of the congregation share public prayers), Thomas stood up and said his first public prayer. He expressed his thanks for the week we all had enjoyed at camp and for the chance to grow. Shaun told me after that he was ready to pray also, but that Thomas had said everything he was going to. It is such a joy to see their faith and also to see that they are at home with us as a family of believers.

Apart from the burst pipe episode, it is great to be home and to be around Fenella and the girls. We went through to pick up Amy from the airport last night and Fenella was commenting how it just seemed like yesterday they were here to get me! I know how blessed I am. Amy had spent a week over in Norway to visit with her good friends there. She had a lovely time.

I want to finish this entry with a thank you. For everyone who has been instrumental in bringing about decisions that has led to my family not having to worry about money for another year - THANK YOU! This week I was able to sit and gather all the info from my fundraising trip and things look to be in place for another year. Our God continues to provide!

God Bless!

2 comments:

George said...

I bet that was back breaking work right enough. Have you been with out water this whole time?
Glad Amy got home safe.

George

Glenave Curtis said...

Now, how do you FILL that hole? I hope you had some help from the city. Enjoyed reading these last twos blogs. My favorite part is Fenella's picture! Camp sounds wonderful and you all must be refreshed.