Saturday 31 July 2010

Yes!
















We have all managed to get a couple of days to recover and rest. Camp Tayside was quite a journey and ended on an amazing note. The title of this blog is "Yes!" Which was the statement printed on this years camp tee-shirt. This was in response to the camp theme which was, "Does God Exist?" I enjoy Christian Apologetics and to some extent I enjoy looking at the science that supports the Genesis record of Creation. However, there is a limit to our ability in comprehending what the creative power of God is. I really struggle when we as "Man" try to work out everything through the avenue of science. I must confess to not having the most complex or intelligent brain. I take comfort in passages like the Psalm that states, "I do not concern myself with things too marvelous for me." There were numerous evidences for the existence of God throughout the week of camp! When there was a challenging idea or opinion being expressed during the lesson you would see little groups of focused people searching the scriptures for a solid foundation and turning to the "True" source for their answers. I would hear prayers in various small groups expressing desire to get close to God through their struggles and searching. I would hear young men and women share their desire and joy in being able to serve others and be used as instruments that bring others closer to our Father! In everything, the week of camp was very powerful! Yes, there were times when our concepts of creation were being tested to their limits and beyond, but those were the times when the truly godly ones rose up and led the others to the Word and found opportunity for faith to become deeper and more real! It was quite a journey this year at camp. However, I have no doubt that in many ways the theme of camp was answered in each of the campers own hearts and that when they all wear their tee-shirts they can wear them with real ownership that, "Yes, God does exist!"

Isn't it amazing how we have no way of predicting what some outcomes will be! If you had asked me before camp what my thoughts would have been they certainly would not have included any of the above. Again, I am in awe of what God brings about! Looking back over the week it is amazing to see how God was lifted up throughout the week! There were times when the bible was secondary and not even opened to times when the kids couldn't wait to get into their groups and set the bible loose! There were times when science was almost lifted above the Creator God, but then you would see kids in their small groups and devo's sharing how great God is and how amazed they were at His Creation! I have nothing but praise for the leadership at camp! It has been such a joy for me to see more of David Emslie, Paddy Sullivan and Paddy Boyns' love for the kingdom and their delight in passing faith to the generation coming up. I have been richly blessed by their example and count it a joy to be able to serve alongside them in the arena of Camp!

I must mention a few reasons for godly pride in some of the Peterhead young people. At the end of camp there are a few awards give out in recognition of excellence. Megan Strachan was recognised as the "Most Outstanding Girl Camper!" Megan is 9 years old and this was her first year at camp! Shaun Main was recognised as the "Most Outstanding Boy Camper!" Shaun is 17 and just became a Christian a few weeks ago. He is already setting quite and example! Thomas Dickie was recognised as the "Most Outstanding Sports Person!" Thomas was exemplary in how he competed and showed a right spirit during sports and games. It is so encouraging to see obvious signs that God is working in the lives of these young people! Again I refer to the theme of camp - "Does God Exist?" Yes, just look at the lives that are allowing Him to work in them!

One last point about camp. My prime role before going to camp was to work with some of the older teens and young adults. The reality of this was quite different than what I had envisaged. Through the various challenges being presented in the class times, it became obvious that this group needed to become focused on service, both to the physical needs of camp and to the spiritual needs. This group were challenged to go and introduce balance to the campers. To encourage bible study and prayer within camp. Very quickly this group gelled and became a tight group focused on this task. I was very proud of their example around camp and for their devotion to helping meet the needs of camp.
Throughout the week of camp we were constantly being confronted with the question, "What is the purpose of Camp?" In my mind camp is a place where... "The older ones who know God and live in His love, give and share it. The younger ones receive it and learn now to enjoy life with it!"
"As the heavens are above the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:9)

No comments: