Thursday 1 July 2010

America - Week 2

Well, I did consider making the title of this post, "We're not in Kansas any more." It is becoming so evident, since being over here in America, that as much as I love the Kingdom I have to face the fact that in Scotland the Church of Christ is tiny. It was made real when I was presenting our work in a congregation of around 450, that if you were to put all the Churches of Christ together in one place we would not have filled the building I was standing in!

I spent time with two of Fenella and I's favorite people in the world in Glenave Curtis and L.V. Pfieffer's. These are two safe haven's whenever I come over. Glenave was looking so well! I loved hearing about her new book she has written titled, "Food for the Soul." Anyone who knows Glenave will understand why that is a very fitting title. Glenave and Dean have always held a special place in my family's heart. L.V. was a great encouragement to visit with! I had the joy of sitting in three of his classes during my spell at Harding University. I have a great deal of respect for his life and teaching.

I have had the joy in this last week to spend time In Manchester, CT. I flew into Boston on the Wednesday evening and stayed there till the following Monday. I was GREATLY encouraged during my visit there! I must mention a few special people - Bob and Gail Jarvis, who opened their home to me and took care of me, Dave and Debbie Barbarian, who gave me hope that fundraising might not be the challenge that is seems to be, Tim and Christie Garcia who always make me feel so at ease in their home and as ever George and Elaine Caruthers, who have been great supporters of our work over the years - THANK YOU ALL! I love the church there in Manchester. They have risen to the challenge and have committed to increasing our support by a further $300 a month! It is always humbling to be treated so well and the joy of seeing their belief in what we are doing is so encouraging! Christie Garcia took me to the airport and it was early on the Tuesday morning before I found my way back to George and Donna's house in Searcy.

On a lighter note - before leaving for Texas on Wednesday morning, George and I had the joy of playing 9 holes! We got up at 5.30am to play before he started work at 8.00am. George played well, but was not quite able to defeat his big brother! A rematch has already been requested! He is a good man and I miss having him around. I jumped in the car and headed of in the direction of Bowie, Texas. Eight hours and short of 500 miles later I got there and with 5 minutes to spare got behind the pulpit and shared the presentation about our work and preached a short lesson. The response was encouraging! They all expressed how they loved being involved with us. I had the chance to stay around and visit a while before heading up to Lake Dallas. I must mention the joy of seeing John Paige again! John was at HSBS the same time as I was and we have an instant love and respect for the other. It was a GOOD visit!

Today, I had the JOY of getting together with Greg Cole and Bill Walker from the South MacArthur Church. Both these men are giants in my book. I did not tell Bill I was coming and surprised him. He grabbed me and we hugged and spent over an hour catching up and remembering good times. Greg Cole is a special man! Greg and I met on one of my first ever fund raising efforts in America. From that first meeting I have always felt a bond and deep appreciation for Greg - he has one of the most gentle and sincere hearts I have ever came across. Got to spend an hour with him over lunch before getting back into the car and heading back to Denton.

These past days have reminded me how great it is to be a part of God's family. I have friends that, if not for the Kingdom, I would have never met and had the honour of getting to know - God is Good!

Haven't mentioned all the frantic planning that is going on in the midst of all this. I am actively trying to get in contact with people who can get me to talk with various missions committees etc... This is time consuming and tough to keep track of. Please keep Fenella and my girls in your prayers! Needless to say we are struggling to be apart under these circumstances. I am missing the reassurance and stability that my family bring. I am not quite at breaking point yet, but every time I see their faces when I present our work I have to make a quiet gesture to our Father to get me through the thing.

Please be praying for my efforts and again if there are people you think might be interested in touching base with regard to supporting our work, get in touch and let me know - my number while in the States is 501 207 1891.

God Bless!

No comments: