Tuesday 22 June 2010

America - Week one

Just a quick update on the events so far. I am getting ready to fly up to Boston in the morning. I get the blessing of spending 5 days with the Manchester CofC there in Connecticut. I am really looking forward to the time up there. I have a rough idea of what I need to do and I am humbled by the way the Church there have responded to our need. They have sent money to help with the cost of my travel and have partnered with our ministry for a number of years now - it will be good to be there! I am excited at the opportunity to teach one of the classes while I am there because the subject for the class is the book of James. Before knowing this I pondered a while over what lessons to work on in preparation for the trip and thought I had it covered, but being challenged to look at James has been an unexpected blessing. I have worked on a class outline that introduces James from a fellow fisherman's perspective. I have loved looking over this and have been blessed in the process - hope the saints in Manchester are able to share in this blessing.

This morning I was hugely blessed! I heard that Jo-Jean Smith had moved to Searcy and was working in the Missions office here at Harding. I popped in to say hello and ended up in tears as we talked. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself as I considered the time I was to be away from Fenella and here I am sitting with Jo-Jean who has been separated from her husband for over 4 years. I was deeply humbled and at the same time encouraged by her devotion to the will of our Father and her love for her family.

At the weekend I had the joy of spending time with two of the loveliest people on the planet! James and Faye Pitts have come into my life out of nowhere and left a marked impression on me. I wrote on the thank you card as I left, "God knew I needed a couple like you two as I set out on this journey." They were so lovely! I was honoured to get to know them. I had the opportunity to meet with the Woodson Chapel CofC mission committee. The meeting went well, but I felt so inadequate trying to express what God is doing in Peterhead and trying to say it all in around 40 minutes! I pray that God takes things further as they consider our ministry and make a presentation to their elders. The drive to and from Nashville was long, but again turned out to be great time for me to meditate and consider stuff. I took the chance to listen to some good preaching from a couple of my favorite teachers, John Ortberg and Mark Driscoll. In all I am strengthened.

This morning I got the chance to go running with George. I miss being around him! We ran round the track for around 3 miles. The heat getting ever hotter! I miss Peterhead! Last night he and his kids were on the Wii Beatles rock band. It was hilarious to watch them trying to keep to the beat of the songs. The video is on Georges facebook page - worth a look if you're in the mood for a laugh.

Well things are moving quickly and although I am missing my family I am pressing on. I got to hear Beth's oboe solo that Amy had e-mailed over to me. I was amazed at how beautiful it sounded and proud that the beautiful sound was being created by my daughter. I am surrounded by so much beauty!

Please keep my 5 girls in your thoughts and prayers while I can't be there.

Till next time - God Bless!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I'm glad that your first week has gone well and that you have been able to spend time with friends and family. I know that it is hard to be away from your family however they are very proud of you and the love you have for them and for the church in Peterhead. From reading your blog, you really don't have to work hard at expressing the amazing work you are doing in Peterhead, all they really have to do is ask you about it. Billy - God's love and joy just shines out of you and anyone talking to you will see that. God luck with the rest of your trip and every time you feel sad, remember that there are people back home praying hard for you and your 5 amazing girls.