Tuesday 8 February 2011

Made to Smile!











Have to share why I will be smiling all week! From time to time you come across people who stand out for whatever reason. There are a certain two young ladies who crossed my path, probably 6 years ago. We had not seen them for two years since they moved overseas to Italy. Well, on Sunday morning we go the shock of our lives when they walked into Sunday School! Alexandra and Lucia Culley are two of the most radiant young girls you are likely to meet. I had not realised how much I had missed them until they walked through the door :) Nina and I were talking in one of the classrooms, just before Sunday school was to begin and I don't know who's jaw dropped the most as they passed the door! What joy!!! I feel I must apologise to Paula, their mum and Jonathon, their brother who were also there. Jonathan is now grown up and very different to the toddler we remember leaving for Italy. Paula is doing a fantastic job with her family and being able see them all again was a rich blessing and it has truly put a smile on my face that will be there constantly throughout the week. During Sunday school we just sat and talked about their life in Italy and what they have been doing. I have to comment about Lucia, I would love to have some kind of counter to record how many words she spoke in that short 40 minutes or so that was Sunday school. She was captivating! A few times we had to plead with her to let Alexandra talk for herself and share some of her life too. We had the best time and before we knew it, it was 10.45 and time for me to go and pick up Thomas for church. Time flies when the company is this good. Last night we had the joy of seeing them again at our Monday night class. This time it was Jonathan who stole the show. I was so glad to see him get stuck in and enjoy the class. On the Sunday morning he was a bit shy and strange of seeing everyone. However, that was not the case on Monday! He never stopped smiling the whole night - joy! The girls had a blast too and I will especially remember them playing the old favorite, "Knights and Cavaliers." It was so good to see them as a part of our group again. I must admit I am a little sad at the thought of them all having to leave us again, but I am so blessed and proud of the way they are growing and have such lovely hearts - true beauty!
We have had a full few weeks. I have to comment on the growth of our teens. I am so proud of the way they are taking more leadership roles, especially when it comes to Monday and Wednesday nights. I was talking with Fenella yesterday and making the point that on Monday night I am the only "old" person. All the other helpers are between the age of 17 and 21! We have reason to look forward with hope at what God will do through these willing young adults! C.J, Megan, Brittany, Shaun and Stuart have been excellent this term. The young kids who come on Monday nights are blessed because of their examples. The class has grown this term and it is down to the atmosphere that has been created by these young lives and the willingness of the children to invite their friends to come and enjoy! I am also delighted to have Thomas come with me to Crimond school and to Anna Ritchie. We make a great team! Our time at Crimond is brilliant! Since Alex left to go back home I needed someone to help with the school and Thomas is more than willing to help - good times!

It was my joy to preach this pas Sunday morning. The journey of preparing for it was especially deep. The journey began early in the week when I was very aware of not having my usual energy and motivation to bless. I felt weighed down and sluggish in Spirit. It was then I was convicted to face the reality that Satan was stealing my joy. I spent a chunk of time meditating and in prayer over this and came to the realisation that I had not prayed in a long time for God to," keep the evil one far from me." This became my motivation for what we shared on Sunday morning. The lesson was focused on Jesus teaching his disciples to pray and especially the closing line, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." How often we forget to ask God's help in keeping Satan far from us! I know this was timely in my life and there was a reaction from many of the congregation, God's word is active and convicting! Well, that's my little confession time, hope it moves you all to think about the activity of Satan in distracting you from the will and relationship of our Father.

I had the pleasure of going down to Cumbernauld with a group of men from Peterhead to a their men's day. We enjoyed a feast of great lessons through four very different lives. The theme was reminding us of the fact that we are all pilgrims in this land and our sights are set on another kingdom. It was a long day, but a full day!

I will close this with some fatherly pride! Beth and Amy both continue to show outstanding ability in their love for music. Beth got her grade 7 oboe marks back and achieved a mark of 143/150! This is truly an outstanding mark and one of the highest the school has known. Beth is really blossoming with her oboe and her music is a real passion in her life. Amy also got her grade 8 singing. Amy got the outstanding grade of 136/150! Fenella and I get the joy of going down this week to hear Amy sing at the Fife Festival. It will be lovely to hear her, but the truth is that now she is living in Edinburgh the singing is secondary and the hug takes pride of place. Anyway, needles to say Fenella and I are very proud of our daughters.

God bless!

1 comment:

Glenave Curtis said...

Your blogs encourage me, Billy. Thank you for being such a great blessing to so many, especially me!