Tuesday 9 December 2008

Don't you just love December!

The title is kind of a love/hate thing. December is a fantastic time of year, but at the same time we tend to be a little more tightly wound and stressed out. I have a few things to cram into this blog and I have to admit that I am a lot less stressed than I imagined I would be at this stage. After the pain and elation with Connor last weekend, this week has flown in. I think last weekend made many of us stop and put things into perspective. I know that I have been a lot more focused on God and His power this week as a result. I have been able to express my joy in the Lord on many occasions and tell of God's power in the life of Connor. One encouraging time was when Fenella and I were in Simpson's having our Wednesday morning "Date" over a cup of tea. We got talking to Carrol, the owner, and it wasn't long before we were sharing experiences about how we have seen God's power at work in peoples lives. We came away from Simpson's encouraged and blessed. I have to say that Carrol is a gem!

I have commented these past few blogs on the overall health in our youth group and I can only express more of the same. Last week we had a magic bunch of classes. Monday night with the younger kids was a blessing! When I was getting all the register and points tables up to date I couldn't help but notice the faithfulness of the children. This term I have seen more consistency over the past 10 weeks than at any other time. I am delighted that the kids are faithfully coming. We took the group to the panto last night to see "Snow White." It was amazing! The kids were great and had a blast. You have to experience panto over here! Amy was Snow White which added a whole new dimension to our involvement. There was no doubt that we took the performers by storm. We were by far the most expressive bunch there and the kids were on top form. Just to let you know, panto is all about getting the audience behind the actors. When the villain enters - everyone boos, but when the princess enters - everyone cheers. There is a lot of interaction between cast and audience. Fenella pretty much lost her voice from shouting and screaming for Amy. No better cause for a sore throat! Amy was brilliant, by the way! I was totally proud and a little protective, especially when she was dancing across the stage with Prince Charming. I called out just before "The Kiss" for the Prince to "Ca Canny" (be careful). MAGIC!! We had a group of 32 there, 22 kids, 4 teen helpers and 6 adult supervisors.

On Saturday night we put on a meal for the over 60's in church. The night was frantic, but fantastic! The frantic part was of course the preparation and the getting everything out at the right time. The fantastic was the contentment felt by all after the night was over. The meal was a full 5 course deal! Fenella contributed an amazing "Sticky Toffee Pudding" and I made a pot of Cream of Chicken soup. I was responsible for the entertainment and this year we enlisted the help of some Highland Dancers, some musicians and a game from the past. The dancers were great and being my cousins girls meant we had a bit of fun in between. C.J. and Megan played "Silent Night" on the flute and Holly, Hannah and Beth played "Jingle Bells" on the fiddles. All this certainly got a warm reception from the audience. We played a Scottish version of "Call My Bluff" to wind things up. I enlisted the help of Ali, Donald and Shonie to be the panel of experts. What a laugh! They each gave a definition of a Scots word and everyone had to guess what one was correct. The three men were brilliant and made the night! There were happy faces all round and the following morning at worship the conversation was all about the night before.

It was Holly and Hannah's birthday on Thursday - they are now 8 years old! Can't believe it! They each had a cake and we celebrated round the table for a while. It was at the weekend though, that we spent the day doing what they had chosen. We went through to Aberdeen to "Build a Bear." Holly was desperate to go there and the two of them had fun choosing their toys to be stuffed and dressed as they desired. Holly chose a white teddy bear and Hannah chose a Zebra. After building their bears we went for supper and then to a movie, "Madagascar 2." It was a great family day and certainly a memorable day for the birthday girls.


Amy and Beth were playing a concert on the Friday night through in Fraserburgh. As always the standard was excellent and they sounded amazing. Fenella and I often comment on how fortunate we are that Amy and Beth are a part of something that bring the best out of them and listening to them perform with the concert band is brilliant! We were back in Fraserburgh on the Saturday morning again to hear Beth play in the Junior concert band. She was great and the whole concert was a big hit.
We continue to be thankful for Connor's healing! The news from George and Donna continues to be be great and gives us reason for Thanksgiving! We certainly have reason to be Strong, after a while of being weak! God is Great! My mum and dad have been enjoying a time with George and Donna and will return home on Wednesday, so we are excited for them to get back home to find all the latest news and share in the joy.

I have not even mentioned Thursday night or Wednesday night or my school ministries this time, but God is good and things continue to inspire hope that God's Spirit is active here and that His Word is living and active. I ask for your continued prayers as we continue to plant the precious seeds in the hearts of many.

God bless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am glad the girls had a wonderful Birthday. The "build a bear" sounds like fun. I love their cakes too! How cute! Hannah with Doctor Who, that's cute. High school musical, fun fun fun!