Monday 1 December 2008

Rejoice x 2!!




When God is involved there is no limits!

This has been one of the hardest weeks and one of the most joyous weeks ever for our family. From getting the devastating news about Connor early on Friday morning, which had all of us on our knees continually before God, to getting the miraculous news of Connors recovery on Sunday afternoon.

What a day Sunday was! I had to preach Sunday morning and told the congregation that the lesson I had began preparing earlier in the week was put on hold, but that I simply wanted to speak from the heart about the events of the weekend. It was hard, but I was able to encourage everyone by showing them how amazing God has been as we struggled along with George and Donna. I shared about the comfort we got from knowing that George and Donna were surrounded by church family and overwhelmed with care and love. I was able to share our weakness and total dependence on God, knowing He was EVERYTHING. It was a very emotional morning, but in everything it was obvious that God was working, not only in the life of Connor, but on the heart of Elaine, my niece. Just after church I had been taking communion to a couple of dear ladies who can't get out much and upon returning home was met with the amazing news that Elaine wanted to commit her life to Christ. WOW! We have been praying for this time to come for quite a while now and if ever there was an unexpected joy - this was it. However, reflecting on the time we had been going through as a family it makes perfect sense. I ran up to the building to fill the baptistery and met my dad there. We were both speechless, but our faces told the same story of joy! That night Elaine was baptized into Christ and is now enjoying the peace and joy that comes as a child of God's.

Amidst all this I needed to get through to George, so that we could share the good news about Elaine's decision, but couldn't get through to him. I spent a while being passed from floor to floor at the hospital until I finally heard the familiar sound of George's, just woken up, voice! My first question was how the night had gone, because we were still grieved thinking Connor was still struggling, but to my shock George went on to tell me about Connor being up and walking around and talking as normal! I had to catch my breath as George was talking, because this was huge! I didn't think my heart could contain so much joy at one time - having the news about Elaine to share and now being met with this amazing news from George! To say he was happy at Elaine's decision is an understatement.

I left the house to check the baptistery and handed the phone to Fenella. Fenella told me later about her conversation with Donna and I feel I must share some of this with you all, because it is simply beautiful. When they had been talking about Elaine, Donna made the statement that she would go through the agony of the past days again knowing that a life had been saved as a result! She also shared with Fenella that when things were at their most trying and Connor was really struggling, she told Satan that even if she lost her beautiful son, she would not loose her faith in God. This is FAITH of the most excellent sort!!! I am blessed and inspired to have this "Tree of Life."

This morning I drove my mum and dad through to the airport. They will be with George and Donna later today - God willing. I know this will be a meeting of great joy!

God IS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Billy, It's your title Rejoice x2 is so true, and am delighted about Elaine being baptised into Christ.