Thursday 15 January 2009

Big Weekend!

There has been plenty to write about this past week, but I need to focus for a time on this upcoming weekends events. I need your prayers!! We made the decision to move our Thursday night teen stuff to Friday and change the format too. The teens were telling us that they had little to do on Friday nights and there was no place to go, so we asked if they would prefer the class to be held on Friday's, and had a huge response to do that. I have been talking a lot with John Campbell and we see this class as our potential for growth, so in light of this we have decided to rejig the format to allow for a more challenging and focused class. We will meet at 7.00pm and for the first hour have the class time and try to replicate our 3rd Sunday atmosphere with this group. We will go till 10.00pm and have some chill time with the teens in a similar way to the existing Thursday night style. This changes, we feel, are the best way ahead and we are prayerful that this is the direction God is opening up for us. As with any "change" we are a little fearful because we had such a successful class on Thursday's, but we want the group to grow and to see Jesus in a bigger way, and so, we step out in faith!
I have been working on the lesson for the past few days and I am really excited about it. It will be aimed at challenging the teens to examine if they have really made the choice to believe that God is the creator and, if so, will they seek His purpose and design for their lives. John is as excited as I am and we have David Chapman and my Dad as recruits to venture out with us, of course Angie is along for the ride too!

On Sunday night we have our third Sunday. I have been busy getting the bones of my lesson together for that too. As with the Friday, I am excited about what the content is and by the way my mind has been guided. I plan to preach with the idea of "Holy Ground" in mind - still a work in progress.

Last Sunday it was my responsibility for preaching Sunday morning. The whole week I was struggling with what was on my heart to preach. It wasn't till late Saturday night I was finally able to make sense of what I needed to preach. The reason I was having trouble was to do with the fact that this lesson was a reality check for me. I came to realise that I had been, spiritually, running on empty for a while. I was struggling with my own soul, because I had neglected spending time with God. The lesson touched the hearts of many in the congregation, not the least of which was mine! One brother in particular came and told me how he felt I was talking directly to his heart. We talked for a while that morning and shared a coffee earlier today. As a result both he and I are working together on a shared passion and with God's help I am excited that great things will result this year. I have a deep seated hope that this year will be a great year for the church here and there are others who share this anticipation. I am asking that if you have opportunity to remember our efforts here and pray for all the classes and avenues we are trying to ensure that the precious seed is able to find good soil in the hearts of some this year.

My ministries at the local schools are up and running and the early signs are that this will be a great year of opportunity within the schools! I constantly find strength and joy from the response of the children and staff. Again, please keep this focal point in my ministry in your prayers. Alex Swango will be with us in February and you all can be praying in advance that Alex will also have opportunity to share my joy within the schools. I have no doubt that his heart will be ready to bless the kids.

In short, we are thankful for all your prayers and just ask for more of the same please.

God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats good Billy. All the best

Anonymous said...

It totally seems like a Big Weekend! Well, Good Luck!