Wednesday 9 March 2011

Expressions of faith

This past while has been strewn with a proper mix of ups and downs. I want to start this out with the good news that we have finally been approved by the UK borders Agency to be sponsors for religious workers coming into the UK. This means that we are able to have JR and Daisha Sheets with their children Gideon and Naomi here in May to work with the congregation for 3 months. This will give us a good indication if there will, God willing, be the possibility of them coming for a longer term in the near future. They are a beautiful family and we are praying that we as a church and they as a family can work together to further the kingdom here in Peterhead. Please keep the Sheets family in your prayers as they make the final arrangements to visit with us. If you are in a position to help with their efforts and would like to give some funds you can do that via their web page: http://www.sheetstoscotland.blogspot.com/


I want to mention a couple of big things, expressions of faith, that has crossed my path this week. The first is a little snippet from Monday night with the primary school class. I came home pretty tired, because there had been a big group of kids and there were a group of 4 boys who were a handful and needed a firm hand. Fenella was asking me how it went and I started off telling her about the issues I had with these 4 boys and not long into the conversation it struck me, I had missed something huge that had happened during the class. When everyone was lined up ready for our prayer time Paul McLean motioned to catch my attention. Normally in the class Paul brings some DVD's that he thinks are good and we either give then a thumbs up or down (always ends up with thumbs up). This Monday was different. Paul didn't have DVD's, but he brought his new bible. He expressed that he wanted to read a bit before our prayer. So, he started reading. What you have to understand is that Paul doesn't form his words like we do and it can be a challenge to know what he is saying some times, but on Monday night there was complete silence as Paul "Read" from his bible and even though the children didn't know what Paul was saying they could understand that it meant a lot to him. When Paul had finished there was a big round of applause, spontaneously started by the kids. I now know that we had witnessed something pretty special and I am blessed, along with 30 others to have been there to hear Paul's expression of faith. My heart is full just recounting the story. I was so caught up in other issues during the class that I almost missed one of the most beautiful things of my week.

The second came about Last night. I got to the building at 10 past 6 to get our group underway. At 6.30 Jordan and CJ came to me and I heard those lovely words, "Billy can I talk to you?" You may not get the significance of what lies behind this simple question, but every time I hear those words and see the focused look in the eyes of the one asking, I know what is coming. We found a relatively quiet place and I listened to Jordan share how he is considering the commitment of his life to Christ! I am always humbled by the fact that I get to see and listen to a heart share how they have come to find their way back to God! Life does not get any better than that :) Our journey begins and God willing, Jordan can follow through with his commitment as we begin exploring what his commitment needs to be. I must share another angle to this chapter that is truly great. I mentioned that CJ came with Jordan to find me. Jordan is getting together with Shaun on Friday to study together. Shaun will share his journey to finding God with Jordan and help him make sense of his journey! That is AMAZING! CJ and Megan along with JP have all been instrumental in taking the opportunity to guide Jordan closer to finding God. I can only hold my hands up and say with all certainty that God is doing some pretty big things through the lives of these young, willing people who want to share what they know to be good. With all this in mind I must tell you of part of our class last night. I shared something that hit me last week with the group. I asked them if they were aware that if it were not for Christ, I wouldn't know any of them? They looked with questioning expressions at first, but then the penny dropped and they understood. I even went a bit further and asked what they thought it was that motivated me to persevere with some of them who, in the past, had been hard to work with. Again I was able to share that it was Christ in me. I put a comment on our youth facebook page last night in response to all that has gone on this week, "I look forward to seeing what the next "Ripple" of influence brings." It is truly inspiring when you see Christ being shared and shared again!


I mentioned that there are some downs at the beginning of this entry, but now all of a sudden they seem so insignificant I don't know that I even want to mention them :)


Let me finish by exalting God and again reminding us that, "He is Worthy!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Billy and Fenella, you are an inspiration to many of those wonderful young people who wouldn't even know God and Christ without you. God will always give us the bright side. Keep on loving God and the sweet precious young people He puts in your path. God bless you and we continue to pray for you. Love, Caroline Smith