Tuesday 29 March 2011

Lots more...

Thought I would add to the last entry a wee bit. I want you to know how excited I am regarding our classes. Our past couple of Friday nights have been outstanding. Last week we looked at excuses and why we use them. Ultimately we went to the words of Christ and His warning at the day we stand before God, "Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven..." We discussed this hypathetical question - What will you say if God asks you, "Why should I let you into heaven?" We focused on the FACT that nothing but Christ will be good enough to get us into heaven! The week before we shared, possibly my favorite class ever, as far as the lesson goes. It was simply the right time and the right stage for the lesson. The truth is though, before the lesson I was not too sure whether I had the energy or the focus to get it across. With this in mind, I look back and know that it was God's timing once again and it was His power that worked for the good of all that night. The lesson was based on a movie that is about to be released called "Soul Surfer." The movie follows the challenge of a young competitive surfer who suffers a shark attack and looses her arm. The movie focuses on her faith and the faith of her family in helping her overcome the loss of her arm and eventually to her getting back on the board and competing again. The lesson hit home with the group in a way I was not quite ready for. One of the memorable moments was when I asked the question, "Are you surfing yet?" Of course this was in relation to their faith. Another moment was when we talked through the question, "Are you a surfer or are you paddling on the shore?" The responses were very real and honest to both these and gave the group opportunity to express where they are and how they are feeling about their faith. We then talked about where the power and momentum comes from. It does not come from the surfer, but from the wave! We talked about the work of the Spirit and God's desire for us to get up on our boards and get surfing. We talked about the FACT that every wave is not an easy one! Some will take every ounce of your effort and ability to get you to the
shore. At the end of the lesson I told the group I was going to show them a picture that was my vision for the group. I think back to when I was putting the lesson together and first saw the photo and when the concept hit me. The photo was of a group all surfing together on the crest of the wave! We talked about the reality of what they were creating as a group and the challenge to keep acknowledging that it is Christ who continues to bring about good things. Like I
mentioned at the begining, I was blown away at how God works in and through us, even when we don't think we have it in us! This is the reason it was one of my all time favorites, because I know it was not the result of my effort and I saw clearly the wind of the Spirit moving through the group.

Monday night are pretty healthy too. We have around 35 kids on the register and we have had as much as 27, but average around 22. I am sooo aware that ministry is not a numbers game! There are night when for whatever reason we may only have 15-18 kids and the opportunity is very different, as you can give much more attention to individual kids. We have a good group of teens helping out and they are taking much of the responsibility for the various phases of the class, from the prayer time, to the tuc shop, getting the task forms and pictures ready for the kids leaving and organizing the games time and fast pass challenge. There are normally between 5 and 8 teens helping me out. Donald was sharing his observation of the kids that come to Monday Night. He said he loved when the mums and dads drop the kids off and he watches the kids throw off their jackets and run through to the hall, barely saying bye to their parents! They just enjoy coming!

A couple of Sundays ago I was preaching on Sunday morning. I was touched with an overwhelming hatred towards an advert on the TV. It got to the stage that I would not watch it because it repulsed me so much. Lynx deodorant are now using angelic being falling from the sky and throwing their "Halo" to the ground in exchange for the irresistible scent of a man wearing Lynx! How man has cheapened the realm of the Spiritual! This along with an encounter involving a school child using God's name as if it were dirt shaped my thought to preaching on our lack of moral fiber and awareness of the "Holy." The challenge was to be Different, because a life focused on Jesus will mean separation from everything worldly! I used Luke's comments on David's life in Acts 13:36 where is says, "For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep." I loved the idea of being remembered for having served God's purpose! We finished of with the idea of simply living lives "WORTHY" of our calling and the thought that "wholeness comes from holiness!"

I have to mention something about our lovely oboe player! Beth over the weekend was encouraged to take part in the Aberdeen young musician of the year in order to gain some experience. On the Saturday she impressed the judges so much that she advanced through to the final which was way beyond what was expected! Only 6 of the initial 22 gifted young musicians were selected to perform in the final. We rushed through to watch her perform on the Sunday afternoon. She was truly outstanding! The judges comments afterward was that her tone and control of the notes were beautiful! Although Beth didn't win, she was delighted with the way she played. Fenella and I could not have been more proud to see our beautiful girl play so beautifully! Amy was able to see her sister perform and it was heartwarming for Fenella and I to see the joy in Amy's eyes when Beth was performing :)

Friday marks the start of the easter break! We are so ready to wind down a little. On Saturday we have hired the local pool for an end of term treat for the youth group! It will be a fitting way for everyone to have a huge bit of fun before the break.

God Bless!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Billy and Fenella, thanks for your sharing about the church group, your children, and family. I enjoy reading your blog very much. May God continue to bless your work for Him. Caroline Smith