Tuesday 29 March 2011

Oh, What a Night!


Where to begin? Well, I will try and share how God has been working these past weeks, but I fear I will not be able to put in words just how powerfully and obviously His hand has been seen. I want to start off with a conversation I had with my dad. We went for a coffee last week and I think the essence of our time and conversation was that God's ways and timings are amazing, but at times near impossible for us to cope with. These past days especially I have been quite simply overwhelmed by God's power to bring about good things - in spite of my humanity. I have been hanging on by my finger nails as God has revealed a glimpse of His power. Sunday night shook me to my core and caused me to come face to face with the scale of opportunity God will at times put in front of us. I mentioned in my last post that Jordan Sutherland was close to the Kingdom, well Sunday was the night he committed his life to Christ! Donald, his dad came home from sea on the Saturday and after spending an evening in their home talking with the family, everything was set for the following night. On the Sunday morning after worship I asked Jordan, Thomas, Rachel and Shaun to help with setting up for the night's service. As we began setting out the chairs in the fellowship hall, Jordan commented that we need to put out more chairs. I said there was plenty, but he wasn't so sure. It later became obvious that he was right and we had to put out a bunch of extra chairs! Wendy, Jordan's mum, had been busy inviting family and friends to come and witness Jordan's baptism. I didn't count, but I am sure there were around 50 visitors that night! When I opened the building and the visitors began streaming in, I was all of a sudden aware that something very different was taking place. The challenge from scripture came to my mind about being prepared to give an account for the hope we have. However, it took on a whole new meaning to me that night! As we began the service and I looked out at the sea of visitors I couldn't help thinking, are any of them believers and how will they react to tonight's events? In the end I silently prayed for God's hand to still my fears and for His Word to take hold of my tongue and for Him to take control. We began with some singing and this set the right tone as it sounded great. I had prepared to use a short video clip to introduce the lesson (feel free to enjoy it), titled, "It's Friday, But Sunday's coming!" I have to say my fears did grip me for a second, because it was to be a pretty challenging lesson and in light of all the visitors I was doubting a little, but again with a time of prayer as the clip was running I was able to ask God to conquer my fears and again use me mightily for His purpose. The message was pretty pointed and asked whether you live as though it were Friday, when the world was winning and sin was overcoming and death is triumphant or on the other hand, as if it were Sunday! When God raises Christ and He is triumphant over death, sin and the powers of this world. We were challenged to ask if we live in hope as we anticipate something better or live in fear and darkness as this world drags us under. We then looked at Jordan and what this decision meant to his outlook on life and what God has in store for him as he commits his life to the safety of His hand and to the pattern of Christ's life. Shaun led a prayer before we went through to share in the beauty of Jordan's baptism. I wish you could have heard his prayer! We took a little time sharing Jordan's journey leading to this point and commitment. Jordan is 15 years old and his testimony is already impacting lives! After I had the joy of taking Jordan's confession we went down into the water and came up as brother's in Christ! We sang a song and Thomas led a closing prayer. Again, I wish you could have heard Thomas' prayer! Shaun commented to me that it's no longer the dynamic duo, but the Three musketeers! God is doing amazing things!


I have to mention something about Donald and Wendy. I love the fact that they are delighted for what Jordan has done, but quietly I think God is working in their lives too! I am prayerful that it will not be too long before there are more Sutherland's added to the Lord's family :) Wendy is one of a kind! I am always uplifted when I am in her company. She has a big heart. I can't think of many people who could have invited so many people to come to church and for them to have come!!! Wendy obviously has a great influence for good in many peoples lives. I am starting to get to know Donald and I consider him a friend. I love his love for the young! His influence, especially with the teens, is pretty special. This last trip was a pretty long one and he shared how getting a bunch of comments on his facebook from the youth group changed his mood to being one of loneliness to one of being blessed!


I want to share another sunny story and again express my pride in how God is bringing about good in lives that draw near to Him. This has not been Rachel's best season in life these past months. She has had to deal with some tough circumstances and although there are times she has struggled I am delighted with the way she has made wise choices these past weeks. Her heart is eager to learn and she is genuinely considering the commitment of her life to Christ. I continue to pray that Thomas, Rachel's boyfriend, will continue to be the example he is to her and that they might share the joy of walking the same path in their journey through this life.


There is so much more! God is Great!

3 comments:

Daisha said...

Glory be to God! Thank you for sharing this so that we can rejoice alongside you!
Daisha

John Fields said...

Praise God. Thanks for the good news which made my day.

Anonymous said...

Billy, this is really GREAT NEWS! God bless you all in your work for Him.
Dwight