Thursday 24 November 2011

Growth...

I used an illustration recently about growth. It was centered on a conversation between an apple grower and a friend. The friend asks, "Show me a perfect apple." The farmer picks a small, green apple from the tree and hands it to his friend. The friend is surprised and expresses his confussion, "It is not red and I can't eat it yet!" The farmer responds, "For it's age and stage it is perfect!"

When I first heard this illustration a huge light buld went off in my head! When it comes to young Christians, we tend to look at them as they should be and not at the stage they are at. When we have been in Christ a number of years and our lives have been affected by the restructuring of God's will in our lives we can forget and be a little harsh on those who, for their age and stage, are growing perfectly.

It is with this in mind that I want to share this post. This, in reality should have preceeded my last entry, but the joy of what needed to be shared meant this one had to wait. However, how do you prioritise growth? Whether it's the early stages of developing belief and faith or maybe at the start of our new life in Christ or maybe seeing the evidence of faith lead to action and experssion in our life. Although we can't deny there is something beautiful and powerful about a new birth, there is something equally lovely in the continued witness to the development and character that comes from a life focused on God.  

There are a few things to share that underline God's handiwork and show true growth in those who would "Draw near to Him." A couple of Sundays ago it was my turn to go up and support the Buckie Church. Fenella and the girls were not able to go and in light of this Fenella suggested that I take some of the teens up with me. Shaun, Thomas and Jordan all made the trip up with me and shared a day that will go down as one of my most memorable of 2011. We talked all the way up and the hour and twenty minute journey seemed so short.

When we got there and the boys met the congregation, I knew ir was going to be a good day. Bill Pirrie asked me, just as we were going to start the meeting, if the boys were Christains and if they would take part. My response was yes to both, thinking he was going to ask the boys if they would like to take part in the service. When it came time for the bible readings he called on Shaun to read the OT. Shaun walked up to the podium where there was a huge bible open at the text and read very confidently and clearly. He was reading from the KJV (not a translation he is accustomed to reading) and if i'm honest I don't think I could have read it as well as he did. Thomas and Jordan now realised that the chances are, one of them was going to be called up to read the NT and they made sure they had their own bibles ready! Jordan was called up to read and again did a great job (using his NIV). Thomas led a public prayer during the "Prayers of the Church" and like the others his words were heart felt. I am glad to say that I think the congregation were blessed as richly from the boys invovlvment than any message I could bring :)

We went to Bill and Eleanor Pirie's for lunch and enjoyed a fine time around the table. Eleanor commented that she loved the fact that she was taking clean plates back into the kitchen. I am glad the boys got to meet Bill and Eleanor, because they got to meet two faithfull giants of the Kingdom. I got to spend more time in the afternoon with the boys and shared with them one on my life's passions - ice cream! We met with the church in the early evening and went home knowing we had encouraged the brethren there :)

Another area I feel needs to be expressed is our bible study times on Wednesday and Friday nights. The effect of God's word and the influence of His Spirit is obvious. When I was studying with Kirsty and with Sam they both made reference to one lesson in particular. On Friday night we used a clip from the Australian X Factor, which did a profile on one of this years contestants Emanuelle Kelly. The lesson focused on our need to have something in our lives that help us overcome the brokeness and pain of the World. We looked at Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." We finished listening to Coldplay's, "Fix You."

Our focal verse these past weeks has been James 4:8, "Draw near to God and He will come close to you." We have been challenging the teens to make that conscious choice to give God some room in their thinking and their decission making and see if He does not come close to them. Sam,  Kirsty and, I am confident a few others, have been making this verse reality :)

I want to make a comment about Shaun and Thomas and a decission that was made to make their faith more active in their daily lives. After a coffee with Shaun, where we talked about our football team, "Brothers in Arms," we were concious that the attitudes and conduct of our team was not always as good as it could be. Shaun and Thomas decided it would be a practice of the team to share a prayer before taking to the pitch to play our matches. The last two weeks Thomas has led the team in prayer before the game and I have to be honest and say that I am sooo proud of their example to the rest of the team, who are not Christian's yet, and showing their faith and dependance in God for all things.

One last bit of news I have to share in this post. Last Tuesday it was my joy to be in Longside school to teach their assembly. It was special because Mr Imlah, who was previously devoted to the children at Central School, is now the head of Longside School. I am always touched when I come in contact with Mr Imlah because his love for the children goes far beyond the normal realm of a teacher/student and it is obvious that he has a passion and gift in sharing and investing in the betterment and development of children. I suppose the truth is that there is a connection between us and this was made obvious when I was leaving the school after the assembly was done. I told Mr Imlah that I had huge respect for him and for the way he devotes himself to the Children and he responded with a similar gesture. We went our seperate ways with a lump in our throughts, not motivated by pride but for the common good.

OOPS! Almost forgot about the picture :) Lewis Emslie turned 13 last Friday night and took a birthday cake to share with the group - good times!

"The word of God is living and active!" 

No comments: