Thursday 2 October 2008

Painful

I decided to title this blog "painful" for two reasons. The first is pretty obvious in light the surgery I underwent on my elbow on Monday. I had a nerve decompression and some cleaning up done to my left elbow. I am happy to say that other than a little pain and an awkward bandage around my elbow, which makes it hard to get warm clothes on, I am doing great. The only down side is that I have to stay away from playing any football or sport for a wee while. I am still able to keep up with my regular school stuff which is magic, I just have to be very disciplined not to join in.

The second reason for the title is a little tougher to handle because it affects my heart. I was always concerned that leaving for America would have an impact on my ministry and I was not wrong. It breaks my heart to see that so many kids have got out of the loop of coming to classes at church. I am most concerned about Wednesday nights. Last night we had only 15 kids there. Don't get me wrong I loved being with them and we had a great time together, but it hurts my heart to know that so many are not being blessed on Wednesday nights. The story is similar throughout all the classes, but not to the same extent as felt on Wednesday nights. I have to be honest and express that my heart is sad to be faced with this reality. It is my desire to be a blessing to as many as possible and that Christ might be seen through me.

With this in mind I need to say that I am now excited at the challenge ahead. I know that the opportunity for growth is very much there and the increased opportunities I have within the schools means that I have ears willing to listen and who will receive an invite to "Come and see." My prayer is again that we might be a place where kids are consistently shown care and love that stems from the Father. I want to echo again to all of you who have a passion for working with children that the key in today's culture is "CONSISTENCY." We have to be there on a regular basis. To break this cycle can take a while to build and establish again.

Although the sentiments of this blog are a little on the negative side, I want you all to know that I am in a great frame of mind and I anticipate that we can rebuild and again be a force for good in the arena of the young lives starved for a connection with their loving Father. I would ask for your continued prayers, I am well aware that I have limits, but God is the source and the power. It would mean the world to know that you were holding up our needs to the Father, who is able to do all we ask or imagine, for the sake of His kingdom.

God bless!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Billy, we are praying for your recovery from surgery. But more importantly (only because we know you'd want it to be more important than your elbow *wink*), we are praying for the growth of the youth classes.

We must say though, you and Fenella have lives that refelct "CONSISTNECY." We are encouraged by your family and will continue to hold you up in prayer to God!

Hunter and Liz Valls

Anonymous said...

am sure the kids will be back to church soon! You and Fenella do great work Billy.