Tuesday 11 November 2008

Moved by the music

We had a fantastic weekend in Glasgow! Amy was amazing. It's not as though we could pick out her voice in the 200+ strong choir, but for Amy to be a part of something so beautiful and overwhelmingly great - is a joy! The concert, "The Armed Man" was from start to finish powerful. The choir were amazing and the orchestra, equally so. I worried before going into the concert that I would struggle to stay with the program, as I have not quite fully developed my "Classical" ear (in other words - I used to thing all this kind of music was rubbish). However, I was moved by the beauty of the music and the words of the piece. Like I said, I can't believe that Amy is a part of something this outstanding. It makes my heart glad that Amy is using her gift to the best of her ability and is certainly blessing many in the process.

While we were in Glasgow and staying with Fenella's cousin in East Kilbride, we decided to worship with the West Mains Church. We always had the desire to visit at some point because some of our dearest friends are there. We enjoyed being with the church and were richly refreshed. I have to mention that Joe McCulloch's part in leading us to the Lord's Table was great! He talked about the "Bin Men" keeping our filthy streets clean and cleaning up after our mess. He made the connection with how God must see us as we constantly drop our "sinful" litter. Joe talked about his passion for keeping his part of Glasgow clean and again talked about our need to be pure. It was my joy to be asked to preach that morning. Thankfully, I had some notes in my bible and after praying for strength and a voice, the message was a blessing and a challenge to the church. It was especially good to see Drew and Sheena Philips - we love them dearly and thank God for their continued example that has been present throughout our lives. It was also magic to see Robert (Drew and Sheena's son). This was the first time we had seen him since he became a Christian. He is looking and doing well! We were also glad to get to know Alex and Gillian Gear a bit better. We haven't had much chance to be around them, but appreciate their ministry in West Mains and their desire for the kingdom is obvious.

We had a good visit with Fenella's cousin, Sylvia and her family, husband Frank, children Francis and Celia. They are a great family and could not have done enough for us! Frank and Sylvia came to the concert with us on the Sunday night and loved it. It was quite funny watching Sylvia get excited over the white puddings and morning rolls that we had brought down from Peterhead. You can't get them in Glasgow and since Sylvia is originally from the Petrehead area from time to time she craves some of our delicacies!

Beth and Jackie deserve a special mention! They were looking after Holly and Hannah while we were down in Glasgow. Alexa was with us for the trip and the concert which meant that Jackie was to be the baby-sitter! I am being a bit dramatic here, but the truth is they did a good job and everything went smoothly, with no problems at all.

It was 2am before we got home after driving the 200 miles back north to Peterhead after the concert. This meant everyone was very tired all day Monday - Amy especially! Fenella and I were able to take it easy in the morning, but it was all work in the afternoon and evening. I had Crimond for football coaching in the afternoon - absolutely loved it! Last night we had our primary school aged class which was also great! We had 18 kids there, which is steadily increasing again. Last night was Cate and Robert's first time to class. They are from Romania and we were thrilled to have them come to class! Fenella's mum and dad have helped their mother a lot over the past months and had invited the children to come to class. Jackie picked them up and dropped them off again after class. I am sure they enjoyed themselves and it was a joy for us to have them. It was also good to have Dylan there again! I am blessed every time I drive round to pick him up for classes.

Well, today I am off with the P7's from Central school to Aberdeen on a field trip. I got a call yesterday from Mr Imlah, the head teacher, asking if I could help out with the trip. I am delighted that my relationship with the school is such that I am given opportunities like this.

God is good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good work Billy,

Tell Amy, I am proud of her and I bet she did a great job

George