Tuesday 25 November 2008

Playing Catchup!

I have struggled to find the time to update my blog and as a result I am trying frantically to remember the events of the past week. The week has definitely been an up and down one. I have to say that I am continually thrilled at the attendance and the amount of kids we are having at the classes - the evidence shows we are on the right track again. The kids love being with us and they are telling their friends to come. One dilemma we are having just now is a shortage of "Panto" tickets. We take the primary school age kids to the panto each year at Christmas time and we went ahead and bought 32 tickets, thinking that would be ample, but we have already received enough permission slips in to suggest we are short! This is a great dilemma to have. I went down this morning to see if I could purchase some more and was only able to buy one - the last ticket for the show!

The Monday night class is great and the atmosphere is 1st class. It has taken a wee while to get to where we now are, since the 2 month break I was in America, but now things are settled and healthy. One great unfolding story is of Cate and Robert, who are a brother and sister from Romania. They came again this week for the second week running and are obviously enjoying the class. Their story is a tough one and the reality of it all is that we are compelled to go the extra mile for them. They are a lovely pair and to see a smile break from Cate's face is priceless! She has not had much to smile about over the past months and to see her confidence and joy lift is a blessing. Please keep Cate and Robert in your thoughts and prayers. Pray that they feel safe and loved amongst us and that they have increasing reason to smile.

It is a joy to see the Wednesday night class increase in numbers again. There was a spell there when I was concerned, but I think we have turned a corner and are seeing a consistent group desiring to be with us for a more focused class time. Last Wednesday we were delighted to have Lewis share his birthday cake with the class! He turned 10 and had told me he wanted to have some time with his mum and family and then to be with all of us at church too. As I am writing this a flood of faces have came to my mind and I wish I could list them all and share our joy with you, but it's not possible. I hope you can all sense that God is certainly active and many are being blessed through the classes and the great group of helpers we have.

The past two Thursday night's have been excellent. The group is a good size and are really enjoying the class and the atmosphere. It was especially good to see Dean there on Thursday. His past few months have been tough and it was a joy to see him and to encourage him. Michael Campbell and Phillip Lemon "AKA - Juice - o" were there for the first in a while and again it was magic to see them. They are 18 now and it thrills me to know they still desire to be with us on Thursday's. We had a fine bunch of girls arrive at 8.00 and it is especially nice to see Beth's friend Leah come back for a second time - she must like it! We played a game from camp called "Electric Chair" which is a great ice breaker and get everyone together kinda game. It was so much fun, but in the end we had to stop when the 2 boys left got a bit carried away and Andrew got a bump in the proceed. I saw Andrew today and he proudly showed off his "Keeker" (black eye). The truth is I love Thursday night and I feel totally at ease in that age group.

Well, I have to comment some on my school activities! This past week I have had 5 assemblies and have had a blast with the children! I am sooooooo blessed!! This continues to be one of my "trees of life." I see what is accomplished when there is opportunity to stand before the sea of children and can't help seeing God. There is no denying His hand in all of this. When times are tough this is without doubt one of my "Trees" that I go to for reassurance that this is my purpose in the kingdom. As well as the assemblies I have my regular sports focused clubs with the schools too and in the same vein, I can't escape the fact that the influence I have with so many children is further cause to be amazed by God. As I write this I am reminded of the vastness of my opportunity and pray that I am making the most of it. Keep this in your thoughts and prayers that I might continue to be the salt and light needed.

I mentioned there were some downs this week. On Friday I got home from one of the schools and noticed a message on the phone. The message was form Maureen Keeble, who is an outstanding woman and true servant in the church and especially in the community. Maureen was phoning in distress because her husband has just passed away that morning. I went round straight away and was totally overwhelmed. The family were distraught and I couldn't find words. Maureen is someone I admire greatly for she has a heart and love for the lost and the downcast. I sat and listened as she shared her pain and as Shaun and Steph, her grandchildren came into the room my heart was breaking to see their tears. All I could find to do was hug them. I visited again on Monday morning. I told Maureen I had wanted to pray with them at my last visit, but the opportunity didn't afford itself. It was a joy to visit and good to be with Maureen's mum and her son, James and his wife Shona. I am thankful for the second visit and especially to have opportunity to lead prayer and ask for God's help and comfort. The funeral is tomorrow.

I am sharing all this so that you all can share in our ministry. We all need to know that there are prayers being petitioned before the Father on our behalf.

No comments: