Sunday 16 November 2008

Joy!

I am hugely encouraged!!!

These past days, although my health has been a bit down, I have had the best week! I went on the trip with the P7's to the WW2 museum and had a fantastic time with the kids. It was really neat to get to know Mr McKenzie the P7 teacher who just found out on Friday that he has a permanent post with the school after subbing for the past term. I also got to know Mrs Walker, one of the school auxiliary teachers better. I am blessed big time because of the relationship I have with Central School! On Thursday I was there for the girls football coaching and to my surprise we had 3 new girls turn up. It was fantastic to welcome the girls and to get to know them a bit better. I was back in again for two events on the Friday. At lunchtime I had ball games with the P4-6's and had a brilliant time. It seems that all the primary's want a lunchtime slot, but I can only commit to 2, so we have to rotate the primary's and make sure they all get a turn. Just after lunch time I took their assembly. It was a good one and the kids were great. I have the coolest bond with the kids at Central and it is expressed powerfully at assembly times - this also gives me great hope and faith that God's Spirit continues to work in me to bless the school. Right after the assembly I had to rush over to Anna Ritchie school for my time with the boys there. My Friday afternoons here are still one of my treasures. The group were amazing and the amount of happiness and joy that was evident during our hour together is truly staggering. I love being able to encourage and get the best out of the group and the truth is they know how to get the best out of me too. My team lost 9-1, which was a record defeat and in spite of the score the boys just loved the game. There was an Australian teacher, who was visiting the school and asked if he could observe our football - of course I said yes. It was not long before he jumped in and became a part of the game, it was obvious he found the atmosphere contagious and "Cowboy boots and all" he got into the match, but failed to help our struggling side. Calum, was on fire today. He scored 7 of the teams 9 goals and made sure I came in to tell his teacher and class all about his achievements during the match.

When I got home on Friday supper time, I was physically exhausted and had to go to bed at 5pm! I slept for 2 hours. Fenella was shocked because that is something I never do. I had simply done too much and my ailing body was making sure I got the message.

I have to mention our teen class on Thursday night! I was commenting tonight in conversation with John Campbell, who has missed the last 4/5 weeks classes due to fishing, that I am delighted to see the class back to where it was as far a numbers. The night was one that made me stop and take note. I think it was because I was still weak as a result of being poorly, but because I was taking things slower than normal I was spending more time on a one to one with the teens and not as much with groups. I loved it! Especially when the girls arrived at 8.00pm. We played a lot of card games, which lends nicely to talking. I was able to encourage and mentor a lot more than I would have normally. I have learned a big lesson this week and will be taking things slower on Thursday night's, in order to more attentive to the teens needs.

One last thing. Tonight we had our 3rd Sunday thing. It was such a blessing! Everything was right. The audience was full, over 50, which continues to encourage us greatly. Especially considering the visitors that we had. Inviting people to come to our 3rd Sunday is so easy for me. I have a strong desire and drive to invite, which had previously been absent. I can't express how thrilling it is to see the evidence that "change" can make a difference. John got in from sea last night and was glad to be leading singing and welcoming everyone. He has a desire to see the church grow this is obvious and comes across in the way he communicates with the audience. Tonight I preached on 'Confession.' The inspiration was from a Harding Chapel which involved "Cardboard Confessions." Showing how God changes lives from brokenness to healing. As in the past, the response was very good. I talked to all the visitors and the response was that the Word had been active. Everyone stayed behind and fellowshiped for a while over a cup of tea. It is so good to see everyone encouraged and encouraging!

I am joy filled as I write this and hope it comes across in my comments!

God bless.

2 comments:

Daisha said...

Praise God that He is showering His love through you in the schools, the classes, and in the church services. I'm so glad that, despite your lack of health, you were encouraged.

JR and I can't wait to meet up with you!!!!
-Daisha

Chrissy Vick said...

It is so great to read all of these things that God is doing in your life and the lives of the kids. I am over the moon about Dylan -- please give him a big hug from me. He must be so big. We're continuing to pray for Peterhead and the ministry -- the third Sunday thing is SOOOOO exciting. We miss you guys a ton. Love you lots!!!
Chrissy