Thursday 25 September 2008

Like a Duck to Water

It is simply brilliant to be back and ministering here again. There has been much to be thankful about and one or two things to be diligent about. This past week I have been focused on getting things up and running, especially in the schools. I loved going around visiting with the schools and getting excited about the opportunities that I will have this term. Already I have had 3 school assemblies, another two this morning and one tomorrow morning. It has been the best way to get stuck in and to be assured that we are very much up and running again. The one area that caused me a little sorrow was our classes at church. I knew this would be the area that would suffer most by my absence. The first Thursday night class was an eye opener! There were only 13 teens there. At the end of last term we had regularly over 25 coming. I look forward to the coming weeks and encouraging the teens to encourage each other to get back into the groove and make Thursday nights the atmosphere that we had earlier in the year. The positive side is that of the 13 there this week the class was beautiful and I was so glad to be back and involved in their lives again. Monday night was great and for the first week back we had 18 there as well as 5 of our teens. It was so encouraging as I picked up Lewis Emslie and was approaching the church building, he let out a cheer and punched the air saying, "Yes, clubs started again!" I was almost in tears and was just so delighted that the class has so big an impact on his young life. We had 3 new kids there tonight and I have no doubt that things are fine for Monday nights. Wednesday night bible class was also encouraging. We had over 20 kids there, mostly the teenagers, but also 9 primary school age too. We had an open class and had a good time.

I am content and settled knowing that things are good here, since being out of touch for the month I had to be in the States. Yes, there is work to be done, but I am confident that with the aid of our Father that things will continue to grow. The assemblies I have taken so far since being home have been amazing. In the short time I have been home I have influenced 800+ children and know that the opportunities within the schools are there. I take great joy in knowing that.

Last weekend we held a "Social" here in Peterhead. Christians from all over Scotland make a trip up here to enjoy a weekend of fellowship and encouragement. The time was great and all, both local brethren and those travelling to be with us, were blessed as a result. We had Ian Starrs from Aberdeen and Jack Strachan from East Kilbride preach during the weekend and both did an outstanding job of encouraging the saints. We have had the "Sojourners" here with us over the last couple of weeks. I know they have done a fine job working around the building and in encouraging the brethren here. I have not had much time to spend with them since I have been focusing my time on getting things going with my school ministries and with getting the classes started at the building, but I know the congregation have been blessed by their efforts and service.

J.W. Lively is also here visiting the church from Lake Dallas. I had the joy of spending the day with him on Tuesday and getting to play a round of golf on Wednesday with him and James Butters. JW was able to come and see some of the schools I work with and see two assemblies with the Burnhaven and Clerkhill Schools. JW was "Honoured" to have coffee with me and my father and we were able to relax and talk for a while about the kingdom and culture stuff. We had a chance to have supper in the evening with my family and got to know and appreciate him as a friend in Christ.

I may be able to post a couple of photos which JW was able to take during our assemblies. It is not often I have the chance to show photos as I can't take photos of myself during the event, but I know JW took some and I will try to remember to ask him for a copy. I love when I am able to show these because the school assemblies are such a huge part of my work here and one of my most amazing opportunities for planting seeds.

Well the surface has been scratched again!
God bless

No comments: